New England Public Media (NEPM) is seeking a dynamic, inspirational leader to serve as its next President. NEPM’s current President is retiring after a long, successful career managing New England Public Radio/WFCR and shepherding an alliance among radio, TV and digital in Western Massachusetts, creating the new NEPM.
About New England Public Media
New England Public Media (NEPM) is the new public media multiplatform alliance of New England Public Radio (NEPR) and WGBY-TV for Western New England. NEPR is the successor to WFCR (Five College Radio), which first aired in 1961 licensed to the University of Massachusetts, and supported by Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, and Hampshire Colleges. WGBY came on the air in 1971 as a subsidiary of the GBH Educational Foundation, Inc., Boston, public media’s leading content producer.
Now aligned as NEPM, these two public media organizations have a broadcasting range that extends to Western and Central Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut, as well as parts of Southern Vermont and Southern New Hampshire. Their digital and social media platforms extend the reach of NEPM’s service across this region and around the world. With a deep commitment to trusted local journalism, quality educational content, inspired cultural offerings, and civic engagement, NEPM endeavors to share new multicultural voices and inspire new conversations.
NEPM provides audiences with a broad array of local and national programs across four digital TV channels and two radio networks, as well as web and mobile platforms. NEPM provides an essential and trusted voice for the region through local reporting and locally produced programming, and by connecting the region to the world through its partnerships with NPR, PBS, WORLD Channel and other national and international public media organizations.
NEPM is based in Springfield, Massachusetts, and is an independently operated 501(c)(3) organization affiliated with GBH in Boston.
The new President will lead NEPM into its next era of transformational growth and impact across Western New England, a region filled with deep history, stunning natural beauty, vibrant cultural expression, and remarkable socioeconomic diversity.
NEPM’s next President will lead a talented, creative and experienced team of 80 full-and-part-time personnel, crafting a clear vision for impact and service in Western New England that engages new and existing audiences across all platforms, including TV, radio, online, and mobile. The President will be directly responsible for the management of station operations and strategic priorities, including overseeing the organization’s $11.2M operating budget and the successful execution of a new $8.2M capital campaign. In 2022, NEPM expects to celebrate the completed renovation of the former WGBY-TV studios on Hampden Street in Springfield, Massachusetts, where, for the first time, the newly combined multiplatform staff will be located under one roof.
The NEPM President reports to the NEPM Board with additional dotted-line accountability to the President and CEO of the GBH Educational Foundation (or designee) and to the Vice Chancellor of University Relations for UMass Amherst (or designee) for business and operational matters of NEPM that relate to UMass.
Key responsibilities of the President include, among others:
- Help define and articulate a cohesive strategic plan for NEPM that unifies the organization and leverages its staff and many assets to better meet the needs of the community, now and into the future
- Clearly and compellingly communicate NEPM’s mission and long-range goals to multiple stakeholders, and hold self and staff accountable for results
- Serve as a thought leader and provide innovative leadership to grow and guide NEPM’s relevance and community impact especially in all aspects of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Understand the complex and evolving media environment, identifying future trends and key opportunities that will ensure NEPM’s ongoing health and relevance
- Become an effective leader, convener and relationship builder in the Springfield, Western Mass and New England region as well as in the national public media system
- Provide the leadership and vision to foster news and programming excellence as well as the technical development of NEPM’s multi-media, multi- platform delivery systems
- Develop and implement plans and budgets to achieve NEPM’s goals, including meeting annual financial targets and ensuring long-term financial sustainability
- Provide organizational and operational clarity, including alignment of staff roles, systems and processes to maximize impact and deploy resources most effectively
- Work with the NEPM Board, staff, and advisory groups to ensure development and implementation of best-practice policies and processes, including compliance with GBH, University, NEPM, and FCC rules and regulations
- Recruit and develop a highly talented and diverse team at all levels of NEPM and be a driving force in fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- Establish a unified culture across teams and platforms, ensuring all NEPM employees operate with a shared sense of purpose, accountability, transparency, and excellence
- Cultivate a spirit of creativity, innovation and collaboration, promoting an entrepreneurial environment that encourages strategic thinking, experimentation, and calculated risk-taking
- Foster a culture of editorial independence and journalistic integrity, including truthfulness, accuracy, and public accountability
Fundraising & External Leadership
- Serve as the organization’s chief fundraiser by cultivating and stewarding donors, attending fundraising functions, and soliciting major gifts
for the organization’s current and future needs. This includes the current $8.2M programming and endowment campaign
- Act as a community leader, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships by thoughtfully engaging diverse stakeholders, and advancing new initiatives and community- oriented programming
- Collaborate with GBH and other partnerships to leverage external resources
- Represent NEPM to the national public radio and public television communities, maintaining strong working relationships with relevant regional, national, and international organizations
- Integrity, intelligence, fairness and transparency in operations and communication
- Open to and comfortable with risk and a willingness to chart new courses in terms of content, revenue, marketing, and audience engagement
- Self-starter and an individual who enjoys working with a team
- Ability to remain calm and lead under pressure amid rapidly changing events
- Collaborative partner, active listener, and inclusive leader
- Energy, patience, humor, charisma and optimism
The President will have overall strategic, operational, financial and managerial responsibility for the organization, but will bring a collaborative approach to engaging staff, the Board, the community and other key constituents in achieving success. An innovative leader, the President must have impeccable credentials, exceptionally good judgment, a strong ethical compass, and a deep, proven commitment to NEPM’s mission and communities
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities and characteristics:
Transformational & Inspirational People Leader
- A natural teambuilder and uniter, someone who is adept at building and strengthening relationships across a diverse array of teams, cultures, and orientations
- A track record of cultivating high performing, diverse teams through professional development, personal growth, and demonstrated skill in leveraging individual capabilities and organizational structures to maximum impact
- Culturally fluent, able to grow a diverse and inclusive internal culture as well as honor, respect, and engage Western New England’s many distinct communities
- A transparent communicator who actively informs and engages internal and external stakeholders in the mission, vision, and operations of the organization
- A leader who can inspire and work closely with the NEPM board, working to attract accomplished leaders to NEPM’s mission
Strategic & Visionary Leader
- A strategic thinker who thinks incisively and can articulate a clear, compelling, and unifying strategy that engages and inspires a diverse array of stakeholders
- A leader who can inspire others to see new horizons and then work collaboratively to achieve those goals
- Demonstrated understanding of the highly dynamic media and journalism landscape, and demonstrated ability to lead successfully and nimbly in a rapidly changing industry
Financial, Operational and Fundraising Acumen
- A skilled executive who identifies compelling areas for growth and innovation but brings an experienced and disciplined approach to execution
- An excellent operational and financial leader with demonstrated experience in resource development, fundraising, budget, and P&L management
- An enterprising professional who can drive and optimize investment across NEPM’s major revenue lines, including membership, underwriting, and philanthropy
- Ability to engage new and existing underwriters and major donors with passion and integrity to inspire sustained, transformational philanthropic investment
Passion for the Mission, Values & Future Potential of Public Media
- Demonstrated affinity for the mission of public media, including a strong commitment to the potential for public media to strengthen communities and enhance civic discourse
- Passionate commitment to the unique and vital role of independent journalism, internally and externally, with a particular focus around local coverage and engagement
- Deep commitment to upholding the ethical and professional standards of excellence that build public trust in journalism and public media
- Genuine interest in Western New England and in deeply serving and engaging the many diverse communities who call the region home
- Familiarity with labor relations and managing employees represented by a union preferred
- Curiosity and openness to innovative ideas, practices, techniques and technologies
The annual base compensation range for this role will start at $185,000 and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
New England Public Media is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates.
Location/Region: Western Massachusetts