KUER is seeking an innovative digital editor to plan, organize and direct KUER’s digital media presence for maximum audience engagement. This includes overseeing the station’s CMS, web presence and social media for news operations, podcasts, development and other products as assigned. Coordinates across departments and teams including editorial, marketing, development and design to uphold high journalistic ethics, ensure quality and meet station goals and audience needs.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN27816B 00335 - KUER
COMPENSATION: $50,000/yr. – $60,000/yr.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time; 40/week, but due to the unpredictability of news, this position must be available for occasional evenings and weekends
- Shapes KUER’s digital strategies and implements best digital journalism practices to serve state-wide public radio audience.
- Manages design and layout, and maintains functionality of KUER digital products including CMS (Grove), KUER’s proprietary app and other digital station tools.
- Edits, produces and manages production of assets for newsroom dailies and feature-length stories and series, talk shows and podcasts. With news management team, participates in editorial oversight of digital news content and ensures adherence to KUER, NPR and AP style guides.
- Oversees production of social media content to include unique products.
- Tracks and aggregates website, on demand audio, app and streaming analytics. Identifies and tracks key performance indicators to make recommendations based on current station and program goals.
- Manages podcast digital presence including submitting and maintaining feeds, designing and creating web and social media presence.
- Supervises digital team. (Currently one producer.)
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Department Specific Qualifications
- Sound news judgement and knowledge of journalistic, editorial and digital best practices in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to senior management.
- Clear understanding of digital platforms and project management in a deadline sensitive environment.
- Excellent communicator, team player and problem solver with a passion for storytelling to serve the community, including a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion to align with station goals and culture.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing team members while ensuring the smooth operation of digital work.
- Completion of provided supervisory training within one year of employment may be required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/123404
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Location/Region: Salt Lake City