NJ Advance Media is looking for an innovative storyteller to join its social media team. The work will include creating content for social media audiences, as well as optimized sharing of articles, videos, photos, and products on behalf of the newsroom. This person must be able to marry audience experience with newsroom goals.
This specialist should be enthusiastic about sharing ideas, react quickly to changing trends, and know how to move an audience to action.
This position is part of an audience team working on social media, newsletters and video, and reports to the Director of Audience Development. This person will also work with reporters and editors to bring our award-winning journalism and communities’ stories to various platforms. At times this person may also work with organization stakeholders to authentically connect appropriate audiences with our products (including newsletters, events, and subscriptions) on newsroom accounts.
What you’ll do:
- Identify, pitch and coordinate posts, graphics, and videos for assigned social accounts.
- Monitor audience response to our work and engage accordingly.
- Use analytics to determine patterns in audience response and engagement on assigned platforms to identify trends on what is and is not working.
- Look for and experiment with new ways to engage our audience across existing and emerging platforms.
- Live coverage of events as needed.
For this position, we are looking for candidates with:
- Proven track record running social media accounts.
- Ability to write accurate, clean, creative, and engaging copy.
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- A Bachelor’s degree. Journalism, Communications, or a related degree is a plus.
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in social media presence and engagement
- Familiarity with audience engagement metrics and an ability to translate them into actionable data is a plus.
- Tech-savvy at the content level, experience with animated gifs, manipulating photos, producing, and editing video a plus
- Fluency in a secondary language, in addition to English is a plus
Don’t check every single box? Tell us about the important skills we haven’t thought of in your cover letter.
To apply, please submit the following items:
- A cover letter telling us about how you’ve tackled social for a brand. Please include any public facing social media handles.
- Your resume
- A list of the social accounts for a brand, media organization, etc., that you currently manage or examples of posts from when you did manage the account.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that's most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.