The Public Affairs Specialist reports to the Vice President, Public Affairs and Strategic Communications, and works with the Director and Associate Director, Public Affairs, and other staff of the Division of Government and Public Affairs to develop the content for the communications strategies and vehicles designed to achieve ACE's public policy objectives and to inform ACE member presidents and other constituents on public policy issues.
The Public Affairs Specialist also works with other departments, such as Marketing and the Learning and Engagement Division, to help carry out communications with ACE member presidents and other constituents and stakeholders on the full range of ACE programs and services.
Essential Job Duties or Tasks:
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of and assists in promoting ACE programs, initiatives, and services, such as the Fellows Program, Internationalization Lab, and Annual Meeting.
- Assists in the development and implementation of communications outreach plans to help promote visibility and awareness of ACE and its initiatives, including tactics such as special events and briefings, press releases, talking points, and regional media support.
- Under the supervision of the VP, and working with the Public Affairs Director and Associate Director, serves as a contributing editor of Public Affairs newsletters, Higher Education and National Affairs (HENA) and President to President (P2P). Writes stories for HENA and ACE’s blog, Higher Education Today, and edits/proofs other division-wide writing assignments as assigned.
- Assists the Associate Director, Public Affairs, and Director, Public Affairs, with the monthly virtual Public Policy Pop Up interactive webinar and ACE’s dotEDU podcast as needed.
- Responds to media queries from local and regional media in collaboration with the Vice President, Public Affairs, and the Associate Director, Public Affairs.
- In coordination with the VP and other Public Affairs staff, may provide promotional support to some special-focus higher education community-wide activities, such as the Double Pell Alliance. Such activities may include planning, publications, media, and special events.
- Represents ACE to professional associations, such as the Education Writers Association, Public Relations Society of America, and other organizations.
- Participates in ACE’s social media efforts.
- In coordination with the Public Affairs team, assists in the execution of the public affairs plan for the ACE Annual Meeting including writing and proofing promotional materials and press releases, helping to schedule and conduct press interviews, organizing logistical arrangements, and staffing the Annual Meeting press office.
- Serves as a backup to the Public Affairs Associate when posting Public Affairs stories to the ACE website and formatting email newsletters.
- Completes additional duties as directed.
**Please note that this position is located in Washington, DC. Due to the current pandemic, the American Council on Education is currently in a remote status, and you may experience a slower response time to your inquiry for a job opportunity, and the interview process will be conducted remotely. We appreciate your patience as we adjust to these dynamic circumstances. Our status is subject to change based on guidance surrounding COVID-19.**
The American Council on Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, familial status, genetic information, source of income, place of residence or business, status as a victim of an intra-family offense, credit information, protected veteran status, status as a victim or family member of a victim of domestic violence, a sexual offense, or stalking.