Report for America is a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. It is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting. This year Report for America will expand from roughly 225 corps members to 300 as part of an ambitious plan to ensure that every American county has regular access to excellent local news. Our reporters and photojournalists work at newspapers large and small, public radio stations, TV stations, digital publications, wire services and investigative nonprofits. They will be in more than 200 newsrooms across 49 states, plus Puerto Rico, Guam and Washington, D.C.
Recruitment Manager, Report for America
The Recruitment Manager is a full-time, remote position and reports to the Director of Admissions. The Recruitment Manager, in partnership with the Director of Admissions, provides the vision and leadership for all outreach related to cultivating the desired number of newsrooms and corps members each year. Guided by the mission of Report for America, the person in this position will develop and execute recruitment strategies that yield the desired results and attract high quality, diverse corps member candidates, newsroom partners and judges.
- Establish relationships with a wide variety of professional journalism organizations, universities, newsrooms and other sources to ensure that RFA attracts newsroom and corps member applicants who are geographically, ethnically and culturally diverse.
- Seek out diverse newsrooms to partner with, including nonprofit and for-profit organizations, ethnic media, and TV, radio, print and digital partners. (Travel is required)
- Develop and maintain a recruitment calendar for journalism conference attendance for networking and lead generation opportunities with newsrooms and a diverse group of journalists.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to coordinate an annual recruitment plan and calendar in collaboration with the Corps Excellence Team consisting of targeted newsroom outreach and college and university recruitment tactics.
- Identify opportunities and relationships to cultivate an emerging pipeline of future RFA corps members and newsroom partners.
- Work closely with the Director of Admissions and applicable Report for America staff to coordinate and lead the selection process for newsrooms and corps members.
- In partnership with the Director of Admission, develop and maintain a formal referral program for prospective corps members and newsrooms among the RFA family to include current corps members, alumni, RFA mentors, newsroom partners and journalism departments at colleges and universities.
- Host ongoing virtual meetings and information sessions throughout the year with prospective corps members and newsrooms for brand building and lead generation.
- Convey the RFA mission to various groups with passion and sincerity.
- Recruit and maintain a slate of judges to assist with the selection of newsrooms and corps members in the admission process.
- Assist with training for corps members if needed
- Work collaboratively and well with other directors and staffers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in journalism, communications or related field with 3-5 years of newsroom experience and developed networks. Recruiting experience is an asset.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field; experience working in a newsroom environment; an understanding and knowledge of diverse newsrooms and the journalism industry.
About The GroundTruth ProjectOur mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world. The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
About this company
Report for America places talented emerging journalists in local newsrooms to report on under-covered issues and communities. Report for America is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project
Location/Region: New York, NY (10018)