LOCATION: Washington, DC
PROGRAM AREA: Kaiser Health News
KFF, the non-profit health policy analysis, polling and journalism organization, is seeking a digital producer to join the staff of Kaiser Health News (KHN), its editorially independent newsroom distributing in-depth coverage of health issues across the country. KHN is an ambitious and growing provider of news on health care politics, policy, and business.
KHN’s web team is responsible for producing and distributing all original stories, special packages, photos, graphics, and other digital content across our websites (khn.org, californiahealthline.org), newsletter products, partner sites and other outlets. Our web producers work alongside KHN reporters, editors, partnerships team, social media managers and copy editors to ensure high-quality and creative packages that will attract a variety of readers.
This candidate should be an experienced and highly creative producer, a fast and flexible learner who is eager to try new ideas and who values a collegial and collaborative team and environment. Prior experience with health policy is a plus, and a news background is a must-have.
We are looking for a person who can do these things:
- Update the Kaiser Health News WordPress websites and digital products with new content;
- Produce compelling article layouts and designs for multiple platforms;
- Select photos for KHN stories, assign freelance photographers and secure rights to images;
- Create photo illustrations or animations.
- Build data visualizations and information graphics;
- Handle audio and video files;
- Write headlines, story summaries and newsletter copy and;
- Produce and edit newsletters.
Minimum Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1-3 years of previous experience, preferably in a newsroom;
- Proficiency with HTML and content management systems (WordPress a plus);
- Experience cropping and editing images in Adobe Photoshop;
- Strong writing with a familiarity of AP Style;
- Good judgment;
- Organized self-starter who can own projects, juggle tasks and demonstrate attention to detail while meeting deadlines;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented open workspace as well as with remote team members;
- Ability to work an 11:30AM-8PM ET schedule most days; and
- Flexibility to work alternate hours as news events or staffing requires.
A candidate with one or more of the below skills would be well-positioned in this search:
- Audio and video editing with programs like Adobe Premier and After Effects;
- Shoot photography or videography;
- Produce graphics and short multimedia assets or animations;
- Strong visual design experience; and
- Proficiency with spreadsheets and web traffic analytics.
More about KHN and KFF:
KFF (The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation) – a nonprofit organization – is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, and is dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public. It has no connection with Kaiser Permanente.
KHN is an editorially independent program of KFF. With a staff of more than 50 reporters, editors, web producers, and photographers/videographers in D.C. and California, plus freelance columnists, animators, web developers, photographers, and videographers around the nation, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news.
KHN provides this coverage on khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, The New York Times, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge. In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings summarizing news coverage of health policy. For more than a decade, these reports have provided readers with daily updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to
labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “KHN Digital Producer” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.