This is an important moment in both journalism and in WBUR’s own evolution. Over the last 18 months, WBUR has embarked on organizational changes — including a strategic transformation plan — to expand its reach, serve the public in new ways, and move towards greater financial sustainability. WBUR has a strong leadership team in place and a culture that’s described as transparent, open, honest, inclusive, and collegial.
Building and strengthening internal operations and capacity is critical for WBUR’s ability to deliver on its ambitious revenue and impact goals. To that end, WBUR is seeking its first Chief Operating Officer (COO) to provide strategic financial and operational leadership for the institution, imbuing its operations with the level of excellence needed to turbocharge a world class media organization.
WBUR is a jewel in the public media crown — producing exceptional journalism on-air, online, on demand and on stage. This trusted and beloved editorial institution has one of the strongest local newsrooms in the country, with a team of journalists covering the most pressing issues of our time — with originality, sophistication, and depth. Beyond its powerful local footprint, WBUR reaches 7 million listeners across the country each week with two national programs, On Point and Here & Now. WBUR is also a pioneering podcaster. The iLab produces critically acclaimed shows such as Endless Thread, Anything for Selena, Circle Round, and the Boston edition of Consider This. For more information on WBUR, please visit https://www.wbur.org/.
In overseeing the Finance & Administration, Engineering, Infrastructure, IT & Operations, Marketing & Communications, and Talent & Culture functions, the COO will be responsible for establishing and improving systems that are crucial for long-term institutional health. They will also strengthen cross-team collaboration, streamline processes, untangle knots, and pave the way for WBUR’s relentless pursuit of editorial excellence and audience growth. The COO will be a key leader, reporting directly to the CEO and will serve on the leadership team as a thought partner to a range of critical internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead WBUR’s financial strategy, planning, and reporting, ultimately developing and stewarding WBUR’s long-term revenue growth strategy.
- Drive the implementation and adoption of WBUR’s strategic transformation plan.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to drive strategic investment in technology systems required to support WBUR's business goals.
- Negotiate WBUR’s business development deals with distributors, content partners, licensees, media partners, studios, and agencies.
- Partner with the CEO and leadership team to implement a common vision to maximize WBUR’s impact.
- Strategize with senior leaders to translate data in a meaningful way and to drive future organizational decisions.
- Work with team members to establish clear metrics for success.
- Work with team members to streamline process so everyone can do their best work.
The full position profile can be found here.
Tom Phillips and Charlotte Harris of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
WBUR is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to broad outreach regarding job vacancies. WBUR and Boston University strongly encourage minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, and women to apply for positions for which they are qualified, and which are of interest to them.
Location/Region: Boston, MA