VTDigger Senior Editor
VTDigger is a nationally recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting and in-depth daily coverage of local and state news. Our mission is to produce rigorous journalism that explains complex issues, holds the government accountable to the public, and engages Vermonters in the democratic process.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations that has developed a model of sustainable funding for local journalism. The organization has grown quickly in just a decade, becoming the go-to source of news for the state of Vermont — with an average of 600,000 unique readers a month and 33 employees.
We are looking for a senior editor with proven experience in motivating, mentoring and inspiring reporters. The senior editor will support the managing editor in working with reporters to produce world-class journalism, with the goal of expanding our relevance, impact and reach.
You're a problem-solver with excellent writing and editing skills and a nose for news. You love the mix of local and state reporting we do at VTDigger: breaking news, enterprise, community, policy, politics and investigative reporting.
You will report to the managing editor and lead a group of four to five reporters by coordinating assignments, honing pitches, supervising workflow and setting deadlines. You will work with reporters on story development from sourcing to pitching to writing to fact-checking. You will be responsible for first reads, rewrites, identifying omissions and working with reporters to ensure fairness and accuracy.
VTDigger is currently expanding its coverage of southern Vermont. Depending on your skills, interest and location, you could oversee our southern Vermont reporters from the region — or you could supervise a different team of reporters from our Montpelier and Burlington offices. Let us know your preference.
This role is a fit if...
● Motivating journalists to do their best work gives you great satisfaction.
● You have exceptional editing skills and you set high standards.
● You enjoy managing reporters.
● Adapting to the changing pressures of the newsroom is second nature.
● Breaking news and fearless pursuit of stories is in your DNA. Fairness is one of your core values and you have keen news discernment.
● You know how to set targets and achieve results that have lasting impact.
● Every day you ask yourself: What's next? What stories are we missing? Who are we missing? You are full of ideas. Satisfying the readers' need for information and news is central to your thinking.
● You are a team builder who works collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. You are open with other team members and express disagreement constructively.
● You are an effective communicator both verbally and in writing. You listen intently to others and value others' opinions. You can also negotiate and persuade.
● Your default is to promptly and openly share information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate.
● Implement the managing editor's daily coverage plans
● Supervise a team of reporters
● Monitor public records requests
● Make assignments for writers in collaboration with other editors
● Reinforce deadlines for your reporting team
● Oversee editing and evaluate copy for conformity with policies, style and tone
● Resolve issues as they arise
Location: Remote through the pandemic; southern Vermont or Montpelier/Burlington
Start date: February 2022
Compensation: Highly competitive
How to apply: Please upload a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the job, using the application form.
Deadline to apply: Jan. 26, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Please note: We recognize there are great candidates who may not fit the description above or who have important skills and experiences we haven’t thought of. If that sounds like you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us more about yourself. VTDigger is committed to constantly improving our organization, in part by better reflecting the communities we serve. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for those of all ages and backgrounds. We especially encourage members of communities that are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply to join our team, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
Location/Region: Montpelier, VT