Family owned since forever? Check.
Large, robust newsroom that makes public officials tremble? Check.
Continued investment in a digital strategy that will make a news organization successful well into the future? Check.
A great place to live and great people to work with? We’ve got that covered, too.
The Post and Courier, winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service and a four-time Pulitzer finalist, is looking for its next newsroom leader. There aren’t many jobs left as good as this one. At The Post and Courier, we deeply value our relationship with our readers, and we believe in the old-school idea that investing in our journalism will lead to more readers and more revenue.
As the next managing editor of The Post and Courier, the No. 2 position in the newsroom, you’ll have big shoes to fill and big expectations to meet. But you will have everything you need to do the job right. Our newspaper is one of the few independent, family-owned papers left in the United States. Our local owners have deep roots in the community and care deeply about this newspaper and its reputation.
Better yet, that ownership translates into a growing newspaper that has added staff and is expanding statewide. In recent years, we’ve opened newsrooms in three new markets across the state, expanded our capitol bureau, and doubled down on our investment in take-no-prisoners investigative reporting.
On the digital side, we’re aggressively pushing every digital boundary you can imagine. No idea is too crazy or too big. Oh, yeah, did we mention you’d be living minutes from the beach and dining at world-class restaurants? There’s that, too.
But before you apply, here’s what we need from you:
- Demonstrated ability to produce journalism of the highest caliber.
- Experience managing journalists of all types, and getting the most out of those teams. Experience managing large teams preferred.
- A commitment to investigative and watchdog reporting at minimum; experience overseeing successful projects is preferred.
- Deep understanding of how our audiences are changing, and the ways newsrooms must change to meet those shifting demands.
- A clear and compelling vision for how to lead our newsroom into the future.
If you think you fit the bill, send a resume and a cover letter to Executive Editor Autumn Phillips at
. The Post and Courier is a drug-free and equal opportunity employer.