The Beaumont Enterprise seeks an enthusiastic and versatile Assistant Editor to serve in the No. 2 leadership position in its newsroom. The right candidate will participate in digital efforts, help grow reporters and keep up with the daily demands of a mid-sized coverage area.
The Assistant Editor works with the editor to plan coverage, edit stories, handle breaking news, work one-on-one with reporters and oversee a daily news operation that produces a daily paper, daily and weekly email newsletters, special sections and a website that sees hundreds of thousands of visits each month.
The ideal candidate will be a leader and a planner who knows how to strategize and execute a wide variety of content — from in-depth features to concise breaking news updates — working collaboratively with writers, designers and editors to execute coverage. In the digital-focused newroom, hitting deadlines, writing SEO headlines, growing audience and driving social media engagement are key metrics. We need a mature, ambitious editor who knows how to organize and run a content calendar and manage staff, has a vision for digital distribution and knows how to juggle a number of short- and long-term assignments at once.
The assistant editor also is in charge of the newsroom when the editor is away, including some weekend and evening editing duties.
The Enterprise routinely is an award-winning publication that, more importantly, produces impactful journalism that captures the spirit of the community and serves its readers well.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Demonstrate sound editorial judgment, including an understanding of institutional guidelines on ethics, tone and subject matter.
- Edit stories for clarity, accuracy, readability, content, style and grammar for the daily newspaper, website and magazines.
- Provide feedback to reporters on performance and make suggestions on sources or additional facts needed for stories.
- Work with Texas digital team to make sure content is optimized for organic search and social engagement, and mentor the editorial staff on best practices.
- Aid in speaking to a targeted audience for newsletters, social communities and the website.
- Stay in tune with emerging digital trends and experiment rapidly in the digital space.
- Be flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment and fill in for reporting vacancies as needed
- Interact and partner with editors, reporters and managers across Hearst Community Newspapers’ growing team
- Passionate about covering community news and being part of the community we serve.
- Good communicator able to assist in fostering a strong newsroom mission and culture.
- Must be able to thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media environment.
- Availability to work some nights and weekends
Other requirements (if you don’t have these exact qualifications, tell me how what you do have makes up for it):
- 3 years of newsroom experience
- Management experience
- Experience with content management systems
- Dexterity with a variety of social media platforms
- Knowledge of AP style
- Understanding of digital analytics
- Must have a current driver’s license or the ability to get one
The Beaumont Enterprise is a daily newspaper in Southeast Texas that most was deemed Texas APME’s 2020 Newspaper and Newsroom of the Year in its size category. Its reporters also frequently win first-place awards in team effort reporting and feature writing, among others. Beaumont is a place to grow with a team of committed journalists who have covered everything from the explosion of a petrochemical plant to catastrophic storms and everything in-between.
Beaumont also is close to the Gulf of Mexico, along a river and between Houston and Louisiana.
The Enterprise, which is Southeast Texas’ oldest business, is a part of Hearst Communications, which notably has been investing in its properties while media companies across the nation have been cutting.
We understand the value of bringing everyone to the table, particularly individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities. As a result, the company has put together a series of goals to improve representation across departments and levels. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people of marginalized communities.
Location/Region: Beaumont, TX