Stand Together Fellowships seeks a Senior Program Manager for the Poynter-Koch Media & Journalism Fellowship, a professional development program run in partnership with the Poynter Institute. As a member of the Stand Together philanthropic community, ST Fellowships invests in a rising generation of professionals—including journalists—to help them become future leaders capable of discovering and driving innovative, bottom-up solutions to our country’s most pressing problems.
Because we believe that a healthy, effective institution of journalism is essential for a free and functioning society and recognize the many challenges facing organizations and professionals working in journalism, we invest in talent development opportunities that help emerging talent have an outsized impact and become future leaders in the industry.
The Poynter-Koch Media & Journalism fellowship equips early-career professionals with knowledge, skills, mentoring, and work opportunities to accelerate their professional development. As a senior program manager, you will work with faculty and subject matter experts at Poynter to make sure the program curriculum aligns with these goals, and you will manage relationships between mentors and advisors and the fellows. Every day, you will use your expertise and experience in the field to inspire learners and program partners to discover and drive innovations that enable the institution of journalism and their places of work to more fully live out the important role of an effective free press.
Your Responsibilities Include
- Managing ST Fellowship’s overall investments and partnerships within the journalism space
- Oversee, in collaboration with our Poynter partners, the ongoing development and delivery of program curriculum, with a focused balance between the day-to-day knowledge/skills needed for excellence in the industry and connecting learners to the deeper underlying principles that define the essential role of a free press
- Drive ongoing relationships with existing participating media organizations to create a superior experience for learners in the program
- Vetting new participating media organizations and building shared vision around how the program invests in and empowers learners
- Leverage a growing network of speakers, facilitators, and other faculty & advisors to help deliver the program experience to learners
- Serve as main point of contact with Poynter, our co-partner for MJF, working with appropriate Poynter employees to plan, assess program effectiveness, adjust program elements, and identify opportunities for improvement and experimentation
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience in the field of journalism, preferably with experience in leadership roles, such as a producer or editor
- Prior experience with relationship management or partnership development
- Demonstrated commitment to prioritizing diversity of thought, openness to differing perspectives, and building respectful, inclusive workplaces that enable all employees to develop towards their potential
- Experience supervising, mentoring, or coaching other professionals.
Standout Candidates May Also Bring
- Prior experience with program management
- Knowledge of grant making