About Us: At the American Society of Home Inspectors, our marketing and content are about understanding our members and building awareness about how our home inspectors are vital in the home buying process. We’re looking for an experienced content writer. Our ideal candidate has experience researching, developing, and executing content in various mediums to get our message in front of our audience. They will be comfortable with day-to-day writing and long-term strategy, thriving with tight deadlines and changing needs.
*To be considered for this position, it is REQUIRED that you submit a cover letter describing how your experience fits our needs. We also require an online portfolio of PUBLISHED writing samples. Resumes without a cover letter and writing samples will not be considered. Although remote, this is a Monday–Friday part-time position.
The Skills You’ll Bring:
- Conduct in-depth research on industry-related topics to develop original content.
- Write, edit and publish original content for websites, blogs, videos, social media posts/campaigns, email campaigns, magazines, newsletters, whitepapers, etc.
- Create compelling headlines and body copy to capture the target audience’s attention.
- Proofreading content for errors and inconsistencies.
- Auditing our website to be sure info is up-to-date and polishing existing content to improve readability.
- Conduct keyword research and use SEO best practices to increase traffic to the organization’s website.
A Typical Day:
- Greet your teammates on Slack or in the office, reporting to our Marketing Manager
- Grab a cup of a coffee, check your list for the day and week, and prioritize your tasks
- Roll up your sleeves to write some email copy, social media calendars, and ads.
Switch gears to prepare interview questions for a call about a new blog topic
- Work with your department teammates to pick the catchiest headline or call to action
- Join a few team calls, contributing thoughtfully to messaging and content
- Wind down by editing and polishing some copy. Wrap up the day by logging your time and preparing for tomorrow’s schedule
ASHI Content Writer Requirements
- Exceptional copywriting and editing skills that deliver clarity, not jargon.
- Passion for the written word; can distinguish great copy from filler content.
- Detail-oriented, critical-thinking, and time-management skills; can write compelling copy to a deadline and thrives for consistency.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution with a concentration in Journalism, English, or a related field (with a strong emphasis on editing and writing).
- Minimum two years of content writing or copywriting experience.
Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, WordPress editing, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Strong understanding of applying and interpreting information in print or online, referencing the AP Stylebook or Chicago Manual of Style.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and web publishing.
Working knowledge of content management or association management systems.
- Solid experience with project management software such as Monday, Trello, Toggle, Basecamp, etc.
- Applicants must reside within the continental United States.
It's a plus if you have:
- Deep understanding of SEO optimization.
- 3-5 + years of association experience.
- Adobe Creative Suite and Creative Cloud experience. Specifically, InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience with Nimble.
- Experience with JotForm.
- Non-profit or association experience.
- Website building experience