The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Atlantic is seeking an experienced executive assistant to join our newsroom operations team. This role will support the editor in chief and the executive editor in their day to day work, as well as the director of newsroom operations in overseeing logistics for The Atlantic’s editorial team. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, resourceful, diplomatic, and practiced in working quickly and flexibly in a dynamic work environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing freelance contracts and invoices
- Executing vendor agreements
- Managing the calendars of the editor in chief and executive editor, and booking travel
- Fielding requests for meetings with editorial leadership, and protecting the time/schedule of the editor in chief and executive editor
- Processing expenses
- Assisting in developing and implementing new processes and workflows across the newsroom
- Handling syndication and permissions requests
- Organizing and executing staff gatherings and special events
- Other administrative support
- Possibility for taking on research projects for operations purposes as time allows
- 2+ years executive administrative experience
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with contracts
- Adaptability and comfort with ambiguity, and in fast-paced environments
- Impeccable judgment and an intuitive sense of discretion
- Highly organized, meticulous attention to detail
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Atlantic Monthly Group LLC and its affiliates ("The Atlantic") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job offers to work at The Atlantic are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, pre-employment screening, and compliance with The Atlantic's COVID-19 vaccination policy. The Atlantic requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including subsequent boosters, and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Location/Region: Washington, DC