National Nurses United (NNU) seeks an experienced Communications Specialist with a commitment to social justice and professional experience in social advocacy and communications. The ideal candidate will be well versed in labor, social, and political issues, be an outstanding and versatile writer, and be savvy about the best communications platforms and mediums through which to tell our story.
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the United States’ market-driven health care industry into a single-payer-style health care system. To nurses, reforming our health system is just one piece of building a social movement toward a more just and equitable society.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe RN staffing law, for unionization campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the country, and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has 180,000 members in all 50 states.
In short, we are a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and health care workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to join our team as a Communications Specialist.
This position can be based in Oakland or Los Angeles, California or the D.C. area.
• Build broader awareness of NNU campaigns and increase the visibility of the work of the organization on a national and local level by planning and executing communications across all media platforms.
• Write press releases, blogs, magazine articles, brochures, flyers, speeches, talking points, and other organizational materials, as assigned.
• Develop materials and conduct media outreach for varied union and grassroots campaigns and projects.
• Conduct media outreach to promote organizational activities, as assigned.
• Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters.
• Identify and develop registered nurse leaders and members to be effective, authoritative sources of their own stories for the media.
• Develop strategic communication and marketing plans essential to supporting the goals and objectives of NNU campaigns.
• Report to and work under the direction of the NNU Communications Director.
• Five years’ experience in journalism, past media relations work with unions, political and/or social advocacy organizations, or the equivalent.
• A proven track record of acquiring national print, electronic, and online media coverage.
• Outstanding verbal communications and writing skills, especially under pressure and tight deadlines, and news judgment. Three writing samples are required with application: one short “news” item, one long-form piece, and one of your choice that best showcases your writing mastery.
• The ability to explain complex issues in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
• Familiarity with the health care industry, health care reform, social justice issues, and labor strongly preferred.
• Strong grammar skills, understanding of AP style, high attention to detail.
• Ability to assess the need for and write in various voices and tones.
• Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
• Willingness to travel, as needed.
• Proficiency with MS Office – word processing, spreadsheets – and cloud platforms such as Google Suite.
Excellent salary and benefits with a generous pension plan. Full family health coverage.
Please submit résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples by clicking the “Apply” button.
(On next page, new users please use Click Here, Returning users please sign in with email and password).
Please be sure to fill out the online application form.
Please, no calls.
NNU is committed to equal opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and other characteristics. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.
Location/Region: California or Washington DC