The Director/Managing Director, Communications, leads all communications work at ACHP and oversees a high-performing team responsible for internal and external communications, with a goal of promoting ACHP, its members and their shared advocacy agenda. The Director is a member of the ACHP leadership team, shaping and helping to execute organizational goals and initiatives. Successful candidates are creative thinkers, comfortable digging into data and research to help translate the good work of ACHP member companies. This is a senior position in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, member-driven environment.
The position includes oversight of media relations, social media, digital communications, thought leadership and more. The Director must be a proactive, strategic thinker who can effectively develop, lead and implement communications that elevate the profile of ACHP and engage key stakeholders. This individual should be knowledgeable about the health industry and community health plans and contribute to ACHP’s overall advocacy strategy.
- Set the direction and guide the vision for ACHP communications initiatives in the short- and long-term, including working collaboratively across departments to maximize impact.
- Identify meaningful opportunities to strategically position ACHP and its members as a leading voice on innovative, patient-centered coverage and care and policies that promote nonprofit, provider-aligned, regional health plans with influential audiences.
- Develop and direct comprehensive, strategic, goal-driven communications campaigns to advance ACHP’s brand identity; broaden awareness and impact of the organization; and increase the visibility of ACHP’s core priorities across relevant audiences through storytelling and messaging, digital media, earned media and events.
- Oversee a high-performing Communications team, including consultants, agencies and related project budgets.
- Lead, develop, and direct departmental staff by planning, recruiting, communicating job expectations, coaching and training.
- Direct creation and distribution of high-quality print and digital materials that reflect ACHP’s mission and goals, including press releases, promotional pieces, presentations, op-eds, blog posts, infographics, web copy, videos, etc.
- Develop and direct thought leadership platforms for ACHP’s senior staff, leveraging ACHP member executives and subject matter experts, to reach a broad audience.
- Oversee ACHP’s earned media, including message development, spokesperson preparation, rapid response, media outreach and high-level partnerships. Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new ones with relevant media and stakeholders.
- Oversee in-person and virtual programming for ACHP member company communications professionals and others.
- Plan and produce the ACHP Annual Symposium signature event featuring external experts and member company executives.
- Provide communications counsel to ACHP member companies, collaborating to differentiate ACHP and drive the success of regional health plans.
- Foster an environment of information sharing that captures and utilizes insights from visits to member companies and other member interactions.
- Partner with the Federal Affairs Department to set strategy and maximize appropriate and comprehensive message alignment to advance ACHP’s advocacy agenda.
- Provide communications counsel across all departments to communicate the differentiated value of regional health plans.
- Collaborate with other departments on publications, collateral and member communications such as newsletters.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications or public/media relations
- 8+ years of related background experience and demonstrated success in the development, management and execution of integrated and influential communications, preferably in the health care, policy or advocacy space
- 3+ years of supervisory or staff management experience
- Proven working relationships with national and local media; demonstrated success in obtaining media coverage
- At a minimum, familiarity with major health policy issues and industry trends with a desire to deepen one’s expertise
- Experience incorporating and interpreting data analytics to drive effective messaging
- Exceptional writing, visual and oral communications skills; ability to synthesize and present information (including policy-relevant data) cogently
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and interact productively with colleagues, members, and other organizations
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to manage a team, budget and outside vendors and consultants
- Inspired by mission-driven work to improve the nation’s health
- Excellent time and project management capabilities and the capacity to successfully work on multiple projects simultaneously, frequently under tight deadlines
- Strong skills using MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher) Adobe Creative Suite, and social media tools
Please submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to ACHP Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Communications Director, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is in an office environment with remote opportunities
- Some travel required
ACHP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, and a woman’s right to breastfeed), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, political affiliation, marital status, veteran or military status, tobacco use, credit information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.