Established in 1977, the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) is a nonprofit membership organization based in Washington, DC. With more than 5,000 physicians, scientists, and women's health professionals worldwide, the Society supports the clinical practice of maternal-fetal medicine by providing education, promoting research, and engaging in advocacy to optimize the health of high-risk pregnant people and their babies.
The Manager, Online Education is responsible for overseeing, coordinating, and implementing SMFM's activities related to online member education. SMFM's Online Education program develops and disseminates educational products in multiple digital formats, including webinars, online courses, question banks, and image libraries, that reinforce SMFM's clinical guidelines and provide various learning opportunities for members. Working under the leadership of the Sr. Director and the Education Committee, the Manager will help fulfill the objectives of the Online Education program and play an integral role in the development of online digital products. The Manager will provide direction and oversight in the design, development, delivery, and assessment of online education products and serve as primary staff to manage and oversee the activities of the SMFM Education Committee. The Manager will also assist in the development of any special projects related to SMFM online education.
Oversee all aspects of the Education Committee, including but not limited to:
- Serve as primary staff for all committee activities for the SMFM Education Committee, eg, schedule quarterly meetings, organize agendas, and compose and distribute minutes. Assist Sr. Director in drafting implementation plans for Education Committee activities.
- Manage online education products, including webinars, online courses, and question banks, and participate in the planning and development of new products.
- Manage the online learning management system, including interface updates and organization, general maintenance, and coordination with other internal departments (eg, Marketing and Meetings).
- Serve as primary staff liaison to the Critical Care Course Work Group; responsibilities include planning, development, tracking, reviewing, and implementing all facets of the SMFM Critical Care Course in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Continually improve the customer experience for digital learning, including marketing, product design, development, production, delivery, and customer service.
- Manage annual budget for online education programs.
- Manager to the Online Education Coordinator, which includes supporting the coordinator’s professional development, managing performance reviews and discussions, and assisting coordinator with prioritization and execution of their job responsibilities.
- Other projects as assigned.
Continuing Education (CME and CE)
Serve as staff point of contact for online education CME, including but not limited to:
- Assess and implement maintenance of certification credits offered for online products.
- Fulfill reporting requirements to CME providers.
- Work with the Public Affairs and marketing teams to proactively identify opportunities to engage in social media and utilize other communications outlets to raise the visibility of the online education program.
- Work with publications and guidelines team to identify new and existing clinical and patient guidelines to serve as primary source material for online education products.
- Work with the meetings team to identify new online education content based on in-person education programming.
- Work with the meeetings team to identify new funding opportunities to support the SMFM educational offerings.
- Coordinate any specific programming during the annual meeting as needed.
- Represent SMFM at meetings and conferences as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree; 5 to 7 years of professional experience with increasing responsibilities. Master’s degree a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, facilitation, and presentation skills.
- Experience managing people and/or external vendors.
- Skilled with MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and virtual meetings platforms, such as Microsoft Teams and/or ZOOM. Knowledge of Articulate Storyline a plus.
- Experience working for a membership association, healthcare entity, grant-funded organization, or women’s health-focused organization.
- Ability to multitask, remain cool under pressure, and manage diverse priorities with positive outcomes.
Staff Core Competencies
All staff members are expected to demonstrate excellence in the following:
- Respect for differences—whether racial, ethnic class, sexual orientation, gender, or class.
- Clear, respectful, and timely communications with supervisors, coworkers, vendors, and others.
- Effective teamwork and collegiality with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the timely, strategic, and successful completion of work.
- Listening actively, seeking and accepting feedback, and recognizing the importance of stretching oneself, learning, and growing.
- Thinking and acting analytically, thoughtfully, and strategically; considering the mission, objectives, work plans, and goals of SMFM’s work and demonstrating an understanding of the impact of their decisions and behavior on the organization.
- Seeking advice, counsel, and permission appropriately but not being afraid to act when required to be effective.